Cumin seed is known as Jeera in Hindi andSeeragam(seer+Agam) in Tamil. Agam means human body; Seer means making ithealthy .That’s why cumin seed is used in most of the Indian dishes on a dailybasis. Cumin seed is very good for digestion and stomach ache. And also itboosts metabolism, , improves memories, removes cold,and cures indigestion. Italso helps removing Vata dosha from the body
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of hot water, squeezeout the juice and discard the pulp. Keep aside.
- Using a blender make a coarse powder ofCumin seeds, curry leaves, red chilies and toor dal and keep it aside.
- In a sauce pan / eeya sombhu add tamarindpulp,chopped tomato, salt, grated ginger, turmeric powder, asafetida and blended jeera rasampowder bring it to boil until the raw smell of tamarind disappears.
- Add 1/2-3/4 cup of water, when it begins toboil, switch of the stove.
- Temper will all seasonings in ghee. Garnishwith fresh coriander, leaves.
- Rasam can be served with rice or as a soup.